Effective & Easiest Tips on How to Get Paint Off Laminate Flooring
When you pay attention to home improvement or renovation, often paint drips off to laminate flooring and get unnoticed. And when you notice it, the paint is already dried, and it seems impossible to remove from the laminate floor.
Well, until now, you may have thought removing laminate floor stains an impossible task, but no more. We have researched to find the right solution of how to get paint off laminate flooring using different chemical agents.
Also, we have included multiple tips of removing dried, liquid paint as well as stain from the laminate flooring, cabinets, countertops, and many more.
How to Get Paint Off Laminate Flooring
The best way to clean laminate floor off paint is to remove it ASAP. Ideally speaking, you should remove the paint drop from the floor within 10 seconds. It brings several advantages for you since liquid paint removal is more accessible than the dried ones.
Removing Liquid Paint Out of Cabinet Floor
You may need to use a scapula or putty knife for it. Use the putty knife to pull out the liquid paint from the flooring carefully. Once you remove maximum paint, there might still be some stain remaining on the floor, which will require the use of chemical agents.
There’re multiple cleaning agents, both commercial and homemade, that you can use for removal of paint laminate cabinets. We will discuss it in the respective following sections.
How to Get Dried Paint Off Laminate Flooring
Suppose you have mistakenly dropped paint on the floor, and it has dried off. Then you will need to opt for different techniques to remove dry paint from the laminate flooring. But for that at first, you will have to gather knowledge on what can get paint off the laminate floor.
The following agents will work fine to remove dry, glossy, and acrylic paint from the wood, laminate, and regular floors.
Nail polish removal:
Nail polish removal comes with acetone in a liquid form. The acetone works on the dried paint to loosen its chemical bonding after a while. So, you need to apply the acetone nail polish remover on the floor, allow it to sit on the foundation for a few minutes.
Then wipe off the nail polish remover and get rid of the dried paint from the floor. However, you need to apply the acetone made removal for a couple of times since the paint stain won’t go away with the 1st application.
Window cleaners are mostly made of ammonia-based chemical solutions. Ammonia has a robust reactive capacity that will destroy the paint chemical bonding in a short time. Once you apply the window cleaner on the floor surface, wait for a few minutes to permit the ammonia to work on the paint.
After that, you may remove the dried paint using a putty knife or vacuum cleaner or wash it off using a microfiber clothing.
A homemade solution:
If you don’t have a window cleaner at home, we suggest you create a homemade solution using vinegar quickly.
You will need the following elements for the homemade solution-
- Rubbing alcohol
- Distilled water (regular water will also work fine)
- Dishwashing soap
To make the cleaning solution, mix rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and water in an equal portion in a secured container so that the rubbing alcohol doesn’t evaporate before use. Finally, add a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap in the mixture and stir it until the liquid starts forming the suds.
The mixture works fine on both water-based and oil-based paints. The vinegar takes care of the water-based paint by dissolving it. On the contrary, the rubbing alcohol and suds of soap will dissolve and remove the oil paints.
Steps on How to Get Paint Stains Off Laminate Flooring
- At first, use the vacuum cleaner to wipe off excess debris and dirt from the laminated floor. Make sure you clean the floor properly.
- Then pour some homemade solution or acetone-based nail polish removal on the dried paint. Permit the paint removal to work on the stain and dissolve or soften it.
- Then use a clean and soft microfiber cloth to wipe off the softened paint material from the flooring. You may require reapplying the paint removal solution more than once. It will depend on how much stain is still on the laminated floor.
- Once the majority of stain is wiped off, pour some clean water on the floor. Then use a clean mop to remove the water. It should take away the rest of the stain residual as well.
This way, you can get rid of paint overspray or dried paint from the laminated flooring.
How to Get Paint Off Vinyl Flooring
Sometimes you may have vinyl flooring at home, and it may get stained with paint. If you notice it immediately, then just wipe it off using a rag before it starts drying. However, once the paint dries off, the removal process may need some patience and application of a technique.
- Drip a rag on water and place the wet rag right above the dried paint.
- Keep the saggy rag over the paint for at least 15 minutes. In the meantime, the water will slowly soak underneath the stain due to its diffusive capacity.
- Now take a plastic spatula and carefully insert it underneath the paint.
- If the paint feels loose enough, scare it using the spatula from the underneath. You may effectively want to add more water to loosen the color more.
- Usually, the spatula will peel off most of the paint from the floor. However, some nerdy residue may still be on the floor.
- Use a bar of dishwashing soap and scouring pad to wipe off the remaining residue with ease. Use the scouring pad gently so that it doesn’t harm the vinyl flooring.
- Lastly, rinse off the excess water from the floor with a mop or rag.
How to Get Paint Off Linoleum Floor
Linoleum comes with a linseed oil made smooth and hardened finish. While you can quickly wipe out the spill of liquid paint from the linoleum floor, removing the dried paint can be problematic.
- If the paint spray is in the liquid state, spill it off ASAP. You can ardently use a rag to wipe off the paint spill. Also, use acetone or non-acetone based nail polish remover to get rid of the paint stain from the floor.
- If the paint has already dried out, use a spatula to remove it. However, before using the plastic spatula, apply isopropyl alcohol or any cleaning solution on the paint and soften it.
- Once the paint is softened, you can quickly scrape it using the spatula.
How to Remove Paint from Laminate Cabinets
Sometimes when you paint laminate cabinets, you can drip paint on the cabinet surface. You need to remove it for the smooth finish of the cabinet.
You can use household cleaner and grease for the process. Also, isopropyl alcohol is a good alternative if you want to remove the paint spills from the cabinets. Since these solvents are powerful, then run the rink of damaging the cabinet finish. So, after removing the paint, wipe off any residue immediately to lower the risk of damaging the cabinet finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Goo Gone safe for laminate floors?
Ans. Goo Gone is a potent adhesive remover from a variety of materials. Nonetheless, it is too strong to apply on the laminate floor. That being said, Goon Gone isn’t safe for laminated floors since it will damage the floor finish.
Will acetone damage the laminate floor?
Ans. Acetone is a mild paint removal and won’t harm the laminate floor. The best thing about acetone is that it quickly dissolves oily paints without damaging the laminate finish of the floor.
Will paint thinner damage laminate flooring?
Ans. Paint thinner was built to remove overspray and paint spill from concrete floors. Hence, it is incredibly harsh. So, we don’t recommend you use it on laminate flooring.
Paint spill or overspray removal from the laminate floor isn’t rocket science. You will only need to be patient and careful as you perform the techniques mentioned above on how to get paint off laminate flooring. Nonetheless, we suggest you go slow with the entire procedure to make sure that there’s no damage done to the laminate or linoleum floor.
We aspire that you will act fast enough to wipe out the paint residual and keep the floor finish intact. And we will come up with the next tutorial shortly.